Monday, July 30, 2007

Harry Potter! Harry Potter! Harry Potter!

I'm not one of those people who takes off work early so I can see the first matinee of a blockbuster movie, and though I have enjoyed reading the Harry Potter series, I didn't ever feel like I had to have one as soon as it rolled off the press.

But I gave in to the hype and pre-ordered Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I knew it would be a long time before I got a copy from the public library and I wanted to read it before school starts back up and my students are asking for it.

School Library Journal's review puts it at 6th grade and up, but we elementary folks know our students are going to be asking for it. What are your thoughts? There's a lot of violence in this book. A lot. Is it an appropriate selection for elementary? If you buy it for your elementary library, are you going to restrict it in any way? If you aren't going to buy it, what are you going to tell students who ask for it?

No comments: